Monday, May 31, 2010

Super Special, Ultra Exciting Project!

So here it is. That extra big, completely terrifyingly exciting project that I'll be tackling while I'm away. Are you ready?
Ready?
No, I don't think you are.
Okay, here it is.



Isn't it gorgeous? My brother brought this vintage couch across the country with him when he moved from North Carolina to Utah. And while he and his bride love the couch itself, the fabric with which it's been covered is not very loveable. It's kinda hard and scratchy and very burlapish (I dub that a word). Durable? Yes. Comfy? NO. Not the kind of fabric that makes you want to sprawl out and take a snooze.

During my visit to Utah I'll be giving this couch a complete reupholstery job. There may even be some wood refinishing happening as well.
Do you think I'm crazy? I do.
This is scary stuff! Look at all of those buttons and tufting! And the double welting that goes all the way around the whole thing?! YIKES!!! Oh, and don't even remind me about the cushion covers.

Still, I'm so, so excited. I've never done a project of this scale before, or with so many different techniques involved- many of which I've never even tried before. So that makes it scary, but those are also the reasons that I'm looking forward to it. Plus, it's for my brother and sister-in-law, and I love them both so very much.

Besides, I won't be in it alone. I'll be making the dog my assistant. Wish us luck!

1 comment:

Jake & Lisa Danes said...

Can't wait to see the finished product! Wishing you lots of luck!!!!