After a bit of a botch up, I think I'm finally ready to show you the outcome of my cardigan makeover. I started out with this:
...which became this, which I hated.
Then it became this, which I like.
I made the ruffle by hemming two sides of a thin strip of fabric, then running a long stitch down the middle and scrunching up the fabric by pulling on the threads. The ruffle got pinned in place all the way around...
... then sewn in place with a double row of stitches.
These turquoise mother-of-pearl buttons were too perfect to pass up.
And they just add that little something that it was missing with the old white buttons.
This has actually been finished for a couple of weeks now, but I was waiting for an opportunity to get a photo of me wearing it, but it never happened. Hope you don't mind.
This little number will soon be gifted to my lovely sister-in-law, whom this reminded me of the entire time I was putting it together. Hope she likes it!