Tuesday, June 7, 2011

My attempt at building a bench

Right along side my chair obsession is an affinity for benches and stools. (They're like chairs, right?) I often see simple, kind of primitive benches like these used as functional decor, which I love.


source


source


source


source

I've had this photo from Miss Mustard Seed's blog in my Inspiration folder for a while.
I liked the rounded edges of these benches, which I think makes them a little more sophisticated than the blocky, square ones (which I also like).

This weekend, out of sheer boredom, I decided to try and build my very own bench with some wood scraps that I had in the garage.

It's far from perfect, but it's sturdy and functional and basically turned out how I wanted it to. And while I really wanted to be able to add the little side apron pieces like the bench above, I didn't want to have to go out and buy anything to make this, so it didn't get any.

(You can't see it in any of the photos, but there's also a 1x2 under that little shelf that runs perpendicular to it which adds some more stability.)

I sunk all my screws and hid them with wooden buttons so it'd look a little less home made.

The seat and legs were made from imperfect boards that I got out of the cull bin at Home Depot a while back. The shelf, support board and buttons were leftovers from other projects.

Since red was all I had on hand, red it became.



It now serves as a little table/foot rest in front of my porch sofa.



The sprinklers got it this morning, but I have a feeling it will hold up pretty well outside.
I can't wait to make more stools and benches in different shapes, sizes and styles. Now I just have to figure out how to convince my husband to buy me a new jig saw, and maybe a chop saw...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love all of the benches..You did a great job on yours..Have a great week..

Anonymous said...

That's why God made Craigslist. ;o)lOVE it, by the way.. exactly what I was looking for, when I did a google search for rustic benches. Kitchen table doesn't know what it's about to be in-for...

Unknown said...

I too just built my first bench from a book shelf I repurposed.