Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Items for sale & a dramatic Before & After

For those of you who live nearby (Boise Idaho area), I thought I'd start offering you a peek at my "finished products" here on the blog before I haul them off to the consignment store, just in case anything catches your eye. So I'll start posting things a few days before I take them to the shop. If you see something you'd like just let me know (leave me a comment here, give me a phone call or send me a Facebook message) and you can come pick it up or I can bring it to you. The items listed here will be taken to the shop on Tuesday, April 20th.

pale green, lightly distressed little wooden chest with bird detail ~ $30

Robin's egg blue wooden chair with swallow silhouette detail ~ $20

cream wooden armchair with taupe linen upholstery ~ $65
*This chair is affectionately known as N.C. She has her own story to tell. Click here to see her filthy, shameful past.


I have one more item ready to go, but you have to see the "before" pictures before I can show you the "afters". It's pretty dramatic.

I named this chair Penny. Penny was in good shape, but she had these pads hanging on her that were just, um, hideous.

Even just stripping off that upholstery was a huge improvement!

Here's a closer look at the unfortunate fabric choice. Can you tell what it is? Click on the picture for a larger view.

Here's a hint. This tag was stapled to the bottom of the seat. See what's stamped just above "Fabric"?

CURRENCY!
What the WHAT? Really?? Somebody chose to upholster a perfectly good wooden chair with money fabric?!?

The seat under the cushion was a bit of a mystery. There was this board...

...which was covering some paper which was stapled over some saggy webbing which was drooping down through a hole.
????

The rest of the seat under the board had been "upholstered" and was in really sad shape.

I relished yanking out every staple so I could be rid of that disgusting fabric.

And here's Penny today sporting some glossy Colonial Red and a brand spakin' new cushion.

Black, white and red suits her much better, no?

The seat got some new webbing stretched tight over that hole (which I forgot to take a picture of) and the cushion is now covered with a lovely black and white floral print with some polka dot piping around the edge and sassy red buttons.


Okay, one more time.

Say it with me now- Blech!

And...AAAAAhhhhhh.

When I sell this chair I'd love to include a print of the "before" photo, just so her new owner can see how far Penny has come!

P.S. Penny is priced at $35, in case you're interested. :)

4 comments:

Jake & Lisa Danes said...

Penny is so pretty!

Andy said...

Oh my goodness. I think I just pulled that exact same chair off the curb last week. Minus the penny fabric, but mine had equally hideous upholstery and "rigging". Will post after pics soon. I painted mine white, but your red makes me question my decision. LOVE it!

Lenore @ Lather. Write. Repeat. said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

XO
Lenore

Larry Lackey said...

We just bought one like it except the number is L8521 and the currency fabric is green.