Monday, April 26, 2010

More items to be refinished

My yard saleing luck this weekend was kind of sporadic. I drove around for 3 1/2 hours and covered lots of ground on Saturday and came home with 4 items. Seems like that ratio isn't quite right. But what I did get, I'm excited about. I'm already envisioning what these pieces will look like completed.

This oak octagonal table is kind of funky. It's really short (see the spray can in the picture for scale?), but I love the unique shape of the top and the turned base. I've been itching to paint something a buttery yellow, and I think this might just be it.

The brand underneath is a mystery. Is Monterey where it was made, or the name of the company or the guy who built it? Or maybe it's the name of this style of table?

I'm loving how chunky this table is. Look at those legs and those over sized screw covers. I'm also looking forward to finding just the right pull for the faux drawer. (Bummer that the drawer isn't real. That would've been so useful!)

A table like this always attracts my attention. It's obviously old and has a lot of detail to it.

It came with a mirror to place on the top, but I can't decide if it should stay or not. What do you think? Do you like the look of the mirrored top, or would it be best to leave it off?

This may be just the piece I've been waiting for to try some glazing. How nice would this look painted some light, airy color then glazed with a dark brown that will settle into all those lovely carvings and grooves?

On my way home I stumbled upon one more yard sale sign that I couldn't just drive past. The lady was selling her old wooden sewing caddy which is in really good condition considering it's been around since the 80's! (I didn't remember to take a picture of this until after I'd taken off the hinged lids, so it's laying on its side so the lid won't slide off- it's not attached.)

I particularly love this original knob. I'm sure the crackling happened naturally, so it's definitely staying. A friend of mine has already claimed this piece to be refinished, so I'm excited to get to work on it for her.

Finally, I want to share a little secret with my local friends. (Or maybe it's no secret and I'm just slow to find these things out.) Anyway, down in Nampa there is an Idaho Youth Ranch Bargain Center located near the intersection of Karcher and Middleton Road (2619 Sundance Blvd.). It's an interesting place. It seems to be where all the Youth Ranch thrift stores either send what doesn't sell, or where they keep things that get donated that aren't nice enough to sell in the stores. Everything is kind of thrown together in these big bins, but if you don't mind digging you can find some pretty good stuff. Here's what came home with me today.

This pair of Tommy Hilfiger tennies just needs a spin in the washing machine to be nice and white again.

I love this cute glass jar with a chunky wooden lid. The lid will get painted and I might even try some etching on the glass. It's hard to tell from the photo, but this is actually a pretty good sized jar. It would be great for storing cookies!

I also got this worn old children's book. I'm always a sucker for vintage children's literature...

... especially when it has cute illustrations like this.

I had to chuckle at some of the language in this one. It uses phrases like "by and by" and refers to cotton candy as "colored candy". Funny.
Some things have specific prices, like clothes, shoes, records and books. But everything else is- get this- sold by the pound! Crazy! So if you're down in Nampa and get a chance to stop in, you should check it out. The items above cost me a whole $3. You probably wouldn't want to make a special trip, but if you're in the area and feel like rummaging you might just find a few treasures!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What color is the "buttery yellow" you were thinking of painting the table? I was thinking of redoing my dining room table and chairs with a darker stain on top and a creamy/yellowy color for the legs and chairs. I thought it would brighten up the space. Any ideas??