Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Before and After: Hutch

Please forgive the photos in this post. They're terrible. There's mess in the background and I didn't even remember to take a proper "before" picture, but I think you'll get the idea.

I bought this hutch off Craigslist, but was kind of disappointed that it wasn't all wood as the sellers had claimed. Nonetheless, I wanted to give it a new look and finally decided that it had been gathering dust in my garage long enough. The dresser part is shown below:


And you can see the hutch part laying on its side in this photo.

Half a quart of KILZ primer and 6 cans of Heirloom White later...

and it was looking a lot better.

I distressed it a little and intended to stop there.

But it seemed too flat.

So I gave it some brown glaze and suddenly it looked finished.

Love those new handles and knobs. I got them at Hobby Lobby months ago when I bought the hutch because I knew exactly what I wanted to do with it.



The glazing really makes that bead board backing stand out.

Sorry again for the lame pictures. But this thing is HEAVY, and I wasn't about to lug it inside and set it up just so I could take pretty pictures. Not this time. It would've been fun to accessorize it, though.
Anyway, it's cute and I'm happy with it. This will be coming to Simply Content with me next month.

2 comments:

Boyd and Melissa said...

Sara, how much are you asking for the hutch, how wide does it measure, and would you ever consider selling it before you took it to the sale in Oct.? I just have to ask, I LOVE IT!

Tarah Fudge said...

Just wondering what kind of" brown glaze" you used? if you could let me know that would be GREAT! thanks so much!

Tarah