Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Idaho's Largest Garage Sale

On Saturday I had the time of my life at "Idaho's Largest Garage Sale". And that's no exaggeration. It was located in a huge parking lot where people could rent booth space and gather to sell their stuff in one massive yard sale. 3 friends and I arrived shortly after it opened at 7 and browsed for about 4 1/2 hours before we needed to head home- and we nearly didn't have time to see it all! Let me tell you what, I found a LOT of stuff. I felt bad turning my friends into furniture movers, but they were cheerful and willing to help me (thank goodness), so I was able to really stock up on items to refurbish.

Here are some photos of my thrifty companions shopping the massive yard sale.





Lucky for me one of my friends' husband loaned us his big truck for the day, and boy did we fill it up! I say "we", but I really mean "I". Everything in the photo below except the item Lindsay is removing and another bookcase buried in there is mine. Is that ridiculous? It probably looked like we were moving or something!

Anyway, here's what came home with me. (Some of the photos are blurred around the edges to hide some of the distracting mess in the background. I was in a hurry to get things put away and didn't bother staging my items at all.)

This sweet little ottoman will be recovered for my friend, Lindsay, who came to the sale. It doesn't look too bad in the photo, but believe me when I say that in person it's pretty nasty. The fabric is dirty and the whole thing STINKS! Oh, and I've never done button tufting before, so wish me luck on this one!

My first purchase of the day- a sweet little rush seat chair.

I love the natural distressed condition that this step stool is in. I hope I can find a way to protect it so the rest of the paint doesn't flake off and it can keep this very worn look that it has going on.

Doesn't this table look like the baby brother of my new living room side table? It's so adorable and only stands about 18" tall.

Got a pair of these cuties...

... a side table with a drawer...

... a side table without a drawer...

... a piano bench with some shapely legs...

... a pair of these cute but HEAVY chairs...

... and this dresser that needs a little repair but should be fine in the end.

I also got a few odds and ends like this tiny skateboard with its cool weathered look...

... this wooden display cabinet with a glass pane in front...

... a nice sized wooden shelf with pegs...

... and a brand new set of blocks that only cost me a buck because 2 are missing.

I just love the vintage look of these, but I think I want to find a way to make them look less new somehow.
I also got my kids a few things like some clothing, a vintage picture book and a Darth Vader voice-changer helmet (suh-weeeet!).

Overall, I think I did pretty well. But the one thing that really blew my skirt up, that got me utterly and completely giddy, the item that every time I look at it makes me excited and thrilled and tickled and stoked is....

this vintage wooden high chair!

I am in love with this thing. The weathered patina that it has just can't be duplicated, so I'm going to keep it.

Not going to paint it or stain it or anything, just clean it, maybe give it a light sanding then seal it.

I'll be sure and share the finished product with you soon. I'm going shopping for just the right sealer tomorrow!
I'd say I couldn't have spent my Saturday any better. My company was fantastic, I was doing something I enjoy and I came home with LOTS of stuff to bring back to life.

A HUGE thank you to those who spent the morning with me and made it so much fun! And then helped me get everything I bought picked up from vendors, taken out to the truck, loaded in the truck, tied down, driven home then unloaded at my house.

2 comments:

Palmer family said...

It WAS oodles of FUN! Glad we went. Can't wait for next years sale! BTW---I didn't know most of those pics were being taken...*Ugh* Boy do I look like Scary Larry! My excuse this time is that I woke up at 5:45am. I am excited to see your finished highchair too. AND I didn't know you bought that glass cabinet thinger. That was the only thing I didn't recognize. OH---And in all those pics I was cracking up 'cause Maryhelen and I are busy holding/looking/picking things up and Rachel was just standing around watching us...Hilar. She wasn't "searching" like us I guess. HA!

Anonymous said...

I bought the same highchair for my daughter ..She is 33 years old It is in great shape. I want to clean it up for my granddaughter- my first.I let my sister-in-law use it for my nephew She wrapped it up and put it in her attic It still has it's walnut color. I want my granddaughter to use it when she comes to visit me. Is there a name on the chair?