A few weeks ago I went thrifting with a friend. No kids, just us for three lovely hours. Along the way we found this chair which she convinced me I was capable of redoing, then helped me choose the fabric for it.
The chair was already in pretty good shape, but dated with the green velvet upholstery and dark stained wood.
I decided it wasn't worth the effort to pull all of the old fabric off, so I just removed the seat and the piping that was around the edges of the back, then primed and spray painted the whole thing a crisp, glossy white.
Next I cut a piece of fabric roughly the size of the back insert and held it in place with push pins.
This left my hands free to shove the edges of the fabric under the wood with a plastic putty knife.
I did the same thing to the front section, then I glued on some contrasting piping to conceal the raw edges.
I hesitated to distress this one, but I'm glad I did. I almost never regret distressing.